Thursday, January 17, 2008

My core personality is Agreeableness?!

Let me fill you in, I have bought a new magazine called "Psychologies Magazine". The real reason I bought it was because Milla Jovovich (my favorite actress of all time) was on the cover. It is superficial, but who cares. Amongst the pages, I found a Core Personality Test, and being the average-magazine-test-taking-American-woman that I am, I went ahead and took it. There are five different categories that you can fit into: extroversion, neuroticism, conscientiousness, agreeableness, and finally openness. Doctors and nurses fall into agreeableness, poets, artists and lawyers go into openness, police and firefighters were high in conscientiousness, and lastly those working in publishing fell into neuroticism; and those living in London scored high in extroversion.

I my friends fall into agreeableness, my major is Human Nutrition in Industry and my long term goal is to be a dietitian. I would like to live somewhere other than Ohio, either California or Sleepy Hollow, New York. My mom took online classes for Nyack University (??) and when she graduated we traveled to Nyack so she could walk with her class. That day was unbelievably hot, I was still fat (20 pounds heavier) wearing a backless dress, so needless to say I was sweating my ass off in the middle of an open field where everyone was wearing black graduation gowns. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, we visited Sleepy Hollow, just a moments drive away from Nyack, and I fell in LOVE with it! I remember us eating at the "Sleepy Hollow cafe", and then going to the original church and cemetery that was featured in the book by Washington Irving...

So how does all of that fit into agreeableness, with the exception of where I want to live? Here is what it has to say about us agree-ers. We are empathisers, which shows how much we orient ourselves towards the mental states of others. Women tend to score higher on agreeableness than men.

"Empathisers are thoughtful and sensitive, but can be overly self sacrificing, putting the needs of others before their own. You are good at understanding others' emotions, but not always good at prioritising your own. At work, you do well in caring professions such as medicine and counseling. But there is evidence that extreme empathisers pay a cost in career terms, as they are reluctant to put themselves forward, and devote a lot of their efforts to making sure others get what they need. With others, you are caring and sensitive. You have harmonious relationships and rarely fall out with people. You are quick to forgive and slow to anger. You enjoy and prioritise close friendships and relationships, and are a source of support for loved ones. Areas of self development: focusing on your own needs. You tend to put others first, so it can be hard for those around you to know what you really want. Extreme empathisers can also hold themselves back in career terms." copyrighted, psychologies magazine

Well there you have it. Me in a nutshell... go figure.

No comments: