Tuesday, February 26, 2008

one more sleepy hour on the dot

Another wintery mixed day brings a cold office and tired eyes. There is no quiz for class tonight, only dirty laundry and cookie batter in the fridge. I have come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy the baked cookie form of a chocolate chip cookie than I do in the batter form. I have always thought that in the back of my mind, but only until last night has it ever come out.

Yage sounds wonderful in my ears and Arkansas is calling my name for Spring Break. A real hot spot, I know! The one good thing about it though, is I get to see the house of the woman who has all the babies. It sounds like a Friends title; "the one with the house and the woman with all the babies".

For those who did not see the TLC documentary, there is a woman who we will call Willadean. Willadean has been married to Bruce for I would say about 10 years, (keep in mind I saw the documentary about 5 years ago) and they are some sort of German Baptist or something like that. The main idea to take away from the point I am making, Willadean and Bruce do not believe in birth control because it goes against their religion. She also can't cut her hair and the women all wear dresses.

Anyway, the last that was reported in the documentary, she was getting ready to pop out her 15th child! She had already had 2 sets of twins and her oldest I think was about 16 or 17. The only way they could afford to feed all of these children was through Bruce and his car dealership that he owned. The cameras followed them around for about 2 weeks or so up until Willadean had the baby. She home-schooled all of her children, showed them how to make all of their clothes and all of the younger children wore the "hand me downs".

The one distinct thing that I do remember, because it made me want to pull my hair out, she said "I will have as many children as God wants me to". Ok, first of all, it's called biology you freak! I know things can happen, and even if one is using an effective means of protection (i.e. birth control, condoms, etc.) one can still conceive. But if you are on your 15+ child, figure it out! You don't own a farm, there are effective medications now so you don't have to worry about the plague wiping out your family name. Either get it together or stop having sex.

I wonder if when I visit Arkansas if I'm going to see any of them running around, and you better believe I'm taking pictures. So til next time, please don't have 15 babies.. I'm talking to you Willadean.

1 comment:

Jupiter said...

Oh,so like the Duggars...but a titch scarier?
The one thing I do not get about some of these really large families (and this is going to sound stupid) is WHY on earth make all the kids clothes?! I only say this because 1) Making kids clothes is one of the things I do for a living so I know the time and work that goes into it and 2) I have lots of offspring and I clothe them all for next to nothing with second-hand stuff. I mean, to have to buy fabric and then take the time to make all their clothes...when kids are so hard on clothes, it's so much more frugal and efficient (um,and environmentally friendly) to buy them second hand.

Ok, so I don't get the whole reproducing for God thing either but hey..what do i know?