Saturday, October 24, 2009

another level of dedication

There are some recent divorces occurring in my outer circles of family and friends, which i find astounding. As a child my parents divorced multiple times, including step parents. By the time I was 12 I had experienced a total of three divorces. Maybe I have a skewed vision of what marriage should be, but I can't get it out of my head how couples fall out of love. OK, I'm mean it's pretty obvious that it happens. I'm not a complete idiot. I am mainly talking about the commitment aspect of it. There are a million reasons why trust is broken, people don't get along, etc. Maybe I am naive on some scale as I did just get married and come next Sunday I will be celebrating my one year anniversary with the love of my life. Or maybe we are just the old fashioned couple who are genuinely friends first and foremost. We talk all the time via text, phone conversation, at home; you get the gist. We took our time getting married and we made sure it's what we wanted.

I'm not saying that my relationship is 100% perfect, it's definitely something that has to be worked on. I guess mainly our level of dedication is what counts. The point I'm trying to make; at what stage do the couples let it all go. At what stage does the toilet flush and all the vows and kind words go with the flow of the water into the drain and finally to the shit hole of a sewage tank? As of the current moment, I will never know. Which I am ultimately thankful for. I don't ever want to get to that point to where I stop respecting my husband as a person, as a father, as my best friend, and lastly as my husband. He's the world to me.

No comments: