Saturday, March 29, 2008

just a variable aid to reason, and not a moment too soon

The opening titles from my first week back from a journey to the backwoods of N. W. Arkansas have proven to be both peaceful and not as so. A day to day process will be as follows;

Day 1:

I decided to write in my notebook a small reflection of the day before my class started that I was going to use as my journal entry. Only I ran into a small problem;

"What a perfect time to reflect. After a week's retreat with sunny skies and warm winds, I am here to report that I am back in cold skies and cold winds central Ohio. School has started back this morning and I am to return to work promptly at noon. My sleepy eyes feel like they're going to close ever so slightly and my body is telling me in more ways than one that I have not had enough sleep in the past few days. Not to dilute the topic at hand, but have you ever realized how much fun it can be to "people watch"? How everyone gathers in the hall before class, standing within the comfortable inch or so from one another and not making eye contact. I am not one to blame either for I am sitting here writing, one in the same as everyone else, but it's all very interesting to see. There is the girl leaning on the window with blue jeans, a university jacket, and sensible walking shoes. There is the girl with the brown tweed trench, blue jeans and ugg boots; which by the way I'm surprised haven't gone away... "

And just as my thoughts kicked in, my pen ran out of ink, swallowing my morning's thoughts into an abyss of physiology and stats.

Days two and three kind of ran together like a big sleepy blur although one of those nights I caught my dog blowing bubbles in his water bowl. He was fishing for swollen kibble for a tasty snack.

No comments: